As I said, I don't know which solution is the one to follow - they both have
significant "ick" factors, though I wouldn't go so far as to characterize
either of them as "horrible". Not being "clean" after calling MPI_Finalize
seems just as strange.

Nathan and I did discuss the init-after-finalize issue, and he intends to raise
it with the Forum as it doesn't seem a logical thing to do. So that issue may
go away. Still leaves us pondering the right solution, and hopefully coming up
with something better than either of the ones we have so far.