Paul,

from the logs, the only difference i see is about Fortran PROCEDURE.

openpmi 1.8 (svn checkout) does not build the usempif08 bindings if
PROCEDURE is not supported.

from the logs, openmpi 1.8.1 does not check whether PROCEDURE is
supported or not

here is the sample program to check PROCEDURE (from
config/ompi_fortran_check_procedure.m4)

MODULE proc_mod
INTERFACE
SUBROUTINE MPI_User_function
END SUBROUTINE
END INTERFACE
END MODULE proc_mod

PROGRAM test_proc
INTERFACE
SUBROUTINE binky(user_fn)
  USE proc_mod
  PROCEDURE(MPI_User_function) :: user_fn
END SUBROUTINE
END INTERFACE
END PROGRAM

i do not have a PGI license, could you please confirm the PGI compiler
fails compiling the test above ?

Cheers,

Gilles