Ah, that sheds some light. There is indeed a significant change between earlier
releases and the 1.8.1 and above that might explain what he is seeing.
Specifically, we no longer hammer the cpu while in MPI_Finalize. So if 16 of
the procs are finishing early (which the output would suggest), then they will
go into a "lazy" finalize state while they wait for the rest of the procs to
complete their work.

In contrast, prior releases would continue at 100% cpu while they polled to see
if the other procs were done.

We did this to help save power/energy, and because users had asked why the cpu
utilization remained at 100% even though procs were waiting in finalize

HTH
Ralph