On Nov 5, 2014, at 12:03 PM, Joshua Ladd <jladd.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this is a pretty significant change in behavior for a minor release,
> Jeff. According to the interested parties:
>
> "I'm reporting a performance (message rate 16%, latency 3%) regression when
> using PSM that occurred between OMPI v1.6.5 and v1.8.1.  I would guess it
> affects other networks too, but I haven't tested.  The problem stems from the
> --enable-smp-locks and --enable-opal-multi-threads options."

Right, and we just fixed that problem.

To be clear: the above report is from *before* we fixed the problem, not from
*after* we fixed it.  After we fixed it, Intel confirmed that PSM performance
went back up to v1.6 levels.

It was never in the plan to bring over the
enable-THREAD_MULTIPLE-beavhior-by-default functionality to the v1.8 branch.
It was a mistake that it got brought over.

> So, this has been in effect the entire 1.8 series and now you want to
> significantly alter the behavior.

Put differently: I want to fix the performance bug.

> I'm of the opinion that we should live with the mistake in the 1.8.x series
> and provide users with clear guidance on the default behavior and advice for
> disabling the threading support that is consistent across this series. 1.9.x
> is a clean slate.

I disagree.

MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE support barely works in v1.8.  Why have it on by default,
especially when there's a performance penalty?

For corporate legal information go to: