My bad (mostly)

I made quite a lot of PR to get some review before commiting to the master, and
did not follow up in a timely manner.

I closed two obsoletes PR today.

#245 should be ready for prime time.
#227 too unless George has an objection.

I asked Jeff to review #232 and #228 because they are large and/or
objectionable changes.

I asked George to review #262 since it might require some other changes.

#261 is ready for prime time assuming this is the way we agree to go.

If you think i should post patches/links to my branches to the devel mailing
list rather than issuing PR, or i should name my branches rfc/something, then
just let me know.

Cheers,

Gilles