As I said in my previous email it is legal to use such an overlapping
datatype for send operations. Thus, the datatype engine cannot prevent one
from creating them.

We had some degree of overlap detection at some point in the past, but the
algorithm is quadratic in time and memory with the number of datatype
entries, so the cost was prohibitive.

  George.

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquy...@cisco.com