The output below occurred testing Jeff's no-embedded-libltdl tarball, but I
am assuming in quite likely the same is true on the trunk.

The "issue" is that I am told by configure that "C and C++ compilers are
not link compatible".
However, it appears I just don't have a C++ compiler at all!!

I am not sure (and too lazy/busy to re-read README) if Open MPI currently
requires a C++ compiler, but that certainly appears to be the case.  If
that is *not* the intent, then this issue is bigger than a misleading error
message.

I have configured this Linux/x86-64 system with only --prefix=... and
--enable-debug.

-Paul

*** C++ compiler and preprocessor
checking for g++... no
checking for c++... no
checking for gpp... no
checking for aCC... no
checking for CC... no
checking for cxx... no
checking for cc++... no
checking for cl.exe... no
checking for FCC... no
checking for KCC... no
checking for RCC... no
checking for xlC_r... no
checking for xlC... no
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no
checking whether g++ accepts -g... no
checking dependency style of g++... none
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /lib/cpp
checking for the C++ compiler vendor... unknown
configure: WARNING: -g has been added to CXXFLAGS (--enable-debug)
checking if C and C++ are link compatible... no
* It appears that your C++ compiler is unable to link against object
* files created by your C compiler.  This generally indicates either
* a conflict between the options specified in CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS
* or a problem with the local compiler installation.  More
* information (including exactly what command was given to the
* compilers and what error resulted when the commands were executed) is
* available in the config.log file in this directory.
configure: error: C and C++ compilers are not link compatible.  Can not
continue.

--
Paul H. Hargrove                          phhargr...@lbl.gov
Computer Languages & Systems Software (CLaSS) Group