Ralph,

Bringing back the coll/sync is a cheap shot at hiding a real issue behind a
smoke curtain. As Nathan described in his email, Open MPI lacks of control
flow on eager messages is the real culprit here, and the loop around any
one-to-many collective (bcast and scatter*) was only helping to exacerbate
the issue. However, doing a loop around a small MPI_Send will also end on a
memory exhaustion issue, one that would not be easily circumvented by
adding synchronizations deep inside the library.

  George.