The answer is: ...it's complicated.  :-)

There's unfortunately no real documentation available on the internal code
structure.  IIRC (and it's been literally *years* since I've looked in the
openib BTL) it uses both send-receive and RDMA, depending on the situation.

Your best bet would be to dig into the code a bit and then come back here and
ask some specific questions.

> On Oct 5, 2016, at 9:10 AM, Gianmario Pozzi <pozzigma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everybody.
>
> My friend Federico Reghenzani and I implemented a framework (MIG) to manage
> MPI processes migration from one node to another, given that BTL only uses
> TCP to communicate. The work was presented at Euro MPI in Edinburgh this
> September.
>
> Now, for my Master Thesis, I need to make MIG capable of working also with
> InfiniBand-based BTL.
> Is there anyone who could help me to better understand how it works? It looks
> way more complex than TCP.
> Does it use only RDMA? If not, what else?
>
> Any hint is appreciated.
>
> Thank you guys, have a nice day.
>
> --
> Gianmario Pozzi