> on your system where compilation fails with mpif90, you can
> mpif90 --showme ...
> in order to get the gfotran command line that is used by the wrapper
> then you can compare it to your own gfortran command line that is working,
> and then try to figure out which difference is involved in the crash.

This was a very helpful tip, thank you! This allowed me to find that the
mpif90-based compile flag that leads to the crash is "-Wl,-flat_namespace".
I can use the rest of the command line given by mpif90 --showme to generate
a working module (no errors on print statements).

Can I configure mpi to not use the -Wl,-flat_namespace flag by default?
Obviously I don't want to do that if it's a critical flag to have, although
my code appears to run just fine without it...