Hi everyone -

We’ve been having discussions among the release managers about the choice of
naming the branch for Open MPI 3.0.0 as v3.x (as opposed to v3.0.x).  Because
the current plan is that each “major” release (in the sense of the three
release points from master per year, not necessarily in increasing the major
number of the release number) is to rebranch off of master, there’s a feeling
that we should have named the branch v3.0.x, and then named the next one 3.1.x,
and so on.  If that’s the case, we should consider renaming the branch and all
the things that depend on the branch (web site, which Jeff has already
half-done; MTT testing; etc.).  The disadvantage is that renaming will require
everyone who’s configured MTT to update their test configs.

The first question is should we rename the branch?  While there would be some
ugly, there’s nothing that really breaks long term if we don’t.  Jeff has
stronger feelings than I have here.

If we are going to rename the branch from v3.x to v3.0.x, my proposal would be
that we do it next Saturday evening (May 13th).  I’d create a new branch from
the current state of v3.x and then delete the old branch.  We’d try to push all
the PRs Friday so that there were no outstanding PRs that would have to be
reopened.  We’d then bug everyone to update their nightly testing to pull from
a different URL and update their MTT configs.  After a week or two, we’d stop
having tarballs available at both v3.x and v3.0.x on the Open MPI web page.

Thoughts?

Brian