Here’s something even weirder. You cannot build that file unless mpi.h already
exists, which it won’t until you build the MPI layer. So apparently what is
happening is that we somehow pickup a pre-existing version of mpi.h and use
that to build the file?

Checking around, I find that all my available machines have an mpi.h somewhere
in the default path because we always install _something_. I wonder if our
master would fail in a distro that didn’t have an MPI installed...