Hi Matias,

Relaxing the restriction on the number of ranks is definitively a good
thing. The cost will be reflected on the number of communicators and tags,
and we must be careful how we balance this.

Assuming context_id is the communicator cid, with 10 bits you can only
support 1024. A little low, even lower than MVAPICH. The way we allocate
cid is very sparse, and with a limited number of possible cid, we might run
in troubles very quickly for the few applications that are using a large
number of communicators, and for the resilience support. Yet another reason
to revisit the cid allocation in the short term.

Regarding the tag with your proposal the OFI MTL will support a wider range
of tags than the OB1 PML, where we are limited to 16 bits. Just make sure
you correctly expose your tag limit via the MPI_TAG_UB.

I personally would prefer a solution where we can alter the distribution of
bits between bits in the cid and tag at compile time. We can also envision
this selection to be driven by an MCA parameter, but this might be too
costly.

  George.