On Feb 9, 2020, at 10:14 AM, Ralph Castain via devel <devel@lists.open-mpi.org>
wrote:

> We are seeing many failures on MTT because of errors on the cmd line. Note
> that by request of the OMPI community, PRRTE is strictly enforcing the Posix
> "dash" syntax:
>
>  * a single-dash must be used only for single-character options. You can
> combine the single-character options like "-abc" as shorthand for "-a -b -c"
>  * two-dashes must precede ALL multi-character options. For example, "--mca"
> as opposed to "-mca". The latter will be rejected with an error

Woo hoo!  I'm all for these changes -- even though I may have been the one to
write some of the original command-line parsing code, I grew to dislike the
ambiguity of single-dash token options (e.g., "-mca" and the like).

This is definitely something we're going to have to prominently mention in the
OMPI v5 release announcements, though.