Hi Gilles,

I invite you to do some cleanup
sudo rm -rf /usr/local/lib/openmpi /usr/local/lib/pmix
and then
sudo make install
and try again.

Good catch! Alright, I deleted /usr/local/lib/openmpi and /usr/local/lib/pmix, then I rebuilt (make clean; make) and installed pmix from the latest master (should I use 3.1.6 instead?), and rebuilt (make clean; make) and installed the debug-enabled version of openmpi. Now I'm getting this:

[terra:199344] [[43961,0],0] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Not found in file ess_hnp_module.c at line 320
It looks like orte_init failed for some reason; your parallel process is
likely to abort.  There are many reasons that a parallel process can
fail during orte_init; some of which are due to configuration or
environment problems.  This failure appears to be an internal failure;
here's some additional information (which may only be relevant to an
Open MPI developer):

  opal_pmix_base_select failed
  --> Returned value Not found (-13) instead of ORTE_SUCCESS

if the issue persists, please post the output of the following commands
$ env | grep ^OPAL_
$ env | grep ^PMIX_

I don't have any env variables defined.

Cheers,