I agree regarding an aversion to basing an ebuild off a VCS commit.

My motive is to tag this ebuild as an outlier that eventually needs to
change back, rather than to justify the practice in general.

For this particular package, I fear things will get more confusing
before they get clearer.  They've adopted a practice of committing
features in the kernel, but allowing the userland tools to implement
these features to remain spread out across several independent
user/developer git repos.

For the time being, basing the package off git will facilitate
assembling the disparate pieces until the project settles down.

On a side note, I prefer this method of identifying a specific commit
and assigning a discrete release number to the practice of making
-9999 packages.