Just a thought here after seeing some of the things Joost been showing:

We use/keep the default Gnome 3 for default desktop, but we spruce it up
with extensions.  The frippery extentions are nice for a bottom panel and
changing the menu

Applications Menu
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/13/

Bottom Panel
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/3/

Coverflow Alt Tab
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/97/coverflow-alt-tab/

We can than add in the cpu freq, battery or whatever would be good to come
up with a nice default Gnome 3.

Cinnamon is nice, but as micia says and just the fact alone it's not yet
compatible with extensions.  So we are basically giving our users a default
desktop that can't take advantage of all the cool extensions.  Maybe
Sabayon 9 would be better with cinnamon if it works with the extensions.

Post with screens here: -
https://plus.google.com/u/1/113908877764977280575/posts/GMX9SNJAUG7

Thoughts?

--