On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 3:03 AM, Steven Cristian
<stevencrist...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Once you use the 'hardened' flag on sys-devel/gcc and base-gcc it shows this
> :
>
> blacknoxis SpecialPackages  # gcc-config -l
>  [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.6.2 *
>  [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.6.2-hardenednopie
>  [3] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.6.2-hardenednopiessp
>  [4] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.6.2-hardenednossp
>  [5] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.6.2-vanilla

As Stephen showed, with a hardened gcc, you'll have 5 gcc profiles.

My recommendation would be to modify the Sabayon gcc ebuilds to make
the "vanilla" version the default, since most users probably will have
no idea about building hardened packages, or know what to do when
problems arise.

So, if we rebuild our gcc package with the "hardened" USE flag, but
set the default gcc profile to "vanilla", the net effect is that users
won't see any changes unless they start to do their own homework on
building hardened packages.  Then, all they need to do is switch the
gcc profile.

But we should avoid silently switching all our users to
build-hardened-by-default since there are occasional issues with
building hardened.  I think the users need to actively "buy-in" to a
hardened gcc.