I include some messages from #sabayon-dev that I think could be useful
for this subject:

scarabeus> joost_op: by default static libs are useless, but they should
be provided in similar fashion like debug symbols
<micia> I agree with scarabeus
<micia> I'd be inclined not to use them :P
<micia> scarabeus, by the way, what does Gentoo mean with static_libs
<micia> compile _also_ a static lib version
<scarabeus> micia: exactly
<micia> or compile _a_ static lib version
<scarabeus> nto static lib version
<scarabeus> compile also static library for selected package
<AStorm> the former
<scarabeus> so you get both mylib.so and mylib.a
<AStorm> exactly. USE=static is more general and unpredictable though
<micia> then yes, there should be a debug symbols analogy in entropy
<scarabeus> it is not resulting package compiled statically
<AStorm> usually it means "link statically", but there are exceptions
<micia> got what that means
<micia> definitely either we don't want it, or we want a debug symbols
analogy
<scarabeus> you want it
<AStorm> what's next, ripping out headers?
<AStorm> ;p
<scarabeus> some users might need it for developers
<micia> scarabeus, yes, but we don't want it by default
<scarabeus> AStorm: did you see how rpms are split?
<scarabeus> AStorm: there is reason why we do it that way
<AStorm> yes, it's quite insane
<AStorm> entropy has better things than many similarly-named packages
<AStorm> extend splitdebug a bit and there it is
<micia> AStorm, exactly, that's how it should be, and personally I think
that should be done for headers too
<AStorm> perhaps - it's not that the headers are usually too heavy -
might not be worth the extra complexity
<AStorm> perhaps for various media files and static libs
<micia> yes, if it is too complex maybe it's not worth it, but it would
be nice, it would make the system a bit cleaner

--
Lorenzo Cogotti