Hi, I was able to reproduce the issue Joost mentioned.
I was misleaded in believing that x-setup could have been the cause,
since I reproduced the issue by deleting /etc/gpu-detector.conf and
rebooted forcing x-setup to rewrite xorg.conf.

Instead it turns out that the latest linux-sabayon version on Limbo (as
of yesterday) had the: CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y

option in its configuration, that apparently auto loaded the radeon.ko
driver, causing the conflict with fglrx.

Today I have updated my kernel and to version:
sys-kernel/linux-sabayon-3.4-r6

Which turns off that option:
zcat /proc/config.gz | grep RADEON_KMS
# CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS is not set

The radeon.ko module isn't auto loaded anymore so the issue is no more.
But I now wonder if the suggested procedure to replace fglrx with radeon
for "newly unsupported" AMD cards, on entropy notice board, is enough to
load radeon.ko, or if the module has to be explicitly loaded by editing
/etc/conf.d/modules.

--
Lorenzo Cogotti