Have you tried with an HD4xxx series hardware? I guess those cards are
the only affected. I only have this 4870 with me, but another user had
the same issue with a 4250. I found a workaround, btw: booting with
vga=773 works for me. It seems those cards have some sort of problem
switching from 1024x768x16 to any other resolution during the boot
phase.

--
Ing. Dott. Danilo Pianini

Site: http://www.danilopianini.org/