Hi,

some movement here it's always welcome :)

Your question it's not OT, actually, when we finished up cleaning up the
release process will follow some tutorials on how to customize Sabayon
and how to do a fork.

Thank you for choosing sabayon as your base distribution, i'm (we are)
really glad that it's used for scientific purposes too.

For customization:
(logos, plymouth, and everything else) packages has been rewritten
recently, they are completely separate now, and the process now is less
painful: short story, you need to touch the packages you see with a
`equo s sabayon-artwork` and you are good to go
x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-core-14-r2 -> contains lightdm artworks
x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-cursor-14
x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-extra-13 -> not really needed
x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-gnome-14-r4 -> gnome theme
x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-grub-14-r1 -> grub theme
x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-isolinux-14-r1 -> isolinux (the splash you
see during live cd boot)
x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-kde-14 -> kde theming
x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-loo-14 -> open office theming (but as you
stated you shouldn't be interested)
x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-lxde-13 ->lxde theming
x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-mate-14-r5 -> mate theming
x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-nostalgia-14 -> old wallpapers, not useful in
your case
x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-plymouth-base-14 -> basic file needed to
"set" the plymouth theme
x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-plymouth-default-14 -> plymouth theme
x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-wallpapers-14-r2 -> current wallpaper set

still there is some minor "work" to be done about the plymouth theme:
you actually need to build your own kernel fork (or recompile it) taking
care that the plymouth theme (it's in the initramfs) is set but it's
your choice how actually do that (you can just rebuild initramfs during
livecd building, withouth the need to fork the kernel ebuild at all,
it's all up to you).
Recently we are switching to Docker for spinbase generation, maybe you
want to have a look at it:
https://github.com/mudler/docker-sabayon-spinbase-amd64
(https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/sabayon/spinbase-amd64-squashed/)

licenses/copyright:

You are free to do whatever you want, license is free, and that's the
amazing thing about open source projects. Of course, if you cite us, we
would be really happy :)

Just a question, why basing on 14.06? 15.06 and the new releases will
ship notably improvements out-of-the-box.

if you have problems feel free to contact me on IRC.

Intuendo la tua provenienza,
un saluto