Are there any big benefits to using the functions/classes defined in
sailfishapplication.cpp compared to just creating a "normal" QML application
(by just creating a QDeclarativeView object etc.). Does doing it the Sailfish
specific way give you a performance optimization advantage? When reading
through sailfishapplication.cpp I find things like a #ifdef statement that
calls a qDeclarativeView() function which is in a special  MDeclarativeCache
namespace, is this for example a special, optimized function? I also see that
QGLWidget is #included, does doing it the Sailfish specific way give you a
openGL accelerated QML UI on Sailfish?

The Sailfish specific way complicates things, especially writing a hybrid
C++/QML app. I'm still quite new to programming and Qt/QML especially and I'm
already having a hard time figuring out how to let QML/C++ communicate with
each other. Luckily there is lots of documentation about it, but there isn't
any Sailfish specific documentation about writing a QML/C++ hybrid app.

Thanks in advance,

Superpelican :)

P.S.: Thomas Perl thanks a lot for your help and the handy webpages. ;)