2013/12/19 David Jensen <davidjen...@usa.net>:
> Nokia's original book on Meego featured, I think, Python as the development. I
> do not see this book on Amazon. However, almost none of the articles I have
> seen  relating to Jolla mention Python. I assumed Nokia believed Python was an
> ideal language for an open system that was easily modifiable by others.  I get
> the impression the language is C++. This is more difficult than Java and
> possibly also Objective C. How does Jolla expect their system to be adapted as
> open if the language developers have to deal with is C++, with Python a vague
> afterthought?

Python 3 and a QML Plugin that can be used to call Python code from
QML will be available soon in the repositories, we're testing
integration and making sure everything works and the API is stable. We
use Python 3 instead of Python 2, because Python 2 is going away
soon[1].

With that said, the language for native Sailfish user interfaces is
QML, which has a built-in JavaScript engine, and support for
JavaScript expressions and blocks. You can do "native" development
with QML and JavaScript alone, or go with the C++/QML/JS or
QML/JS/Python combo. There's nothing stopping you from linking against
any other dynamic language, you just have to write the binding / data
passing between QML (the UI layer) and your favorite language manually
(in C/C++).

HTH :)
Thomas

[1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0404/