Hi,

On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 16:52:29 Caliste Damien wrote:
> Hello sailors,
>
> Le jeudi 02 janvier 2014, Aaron McCarthy a écrit :
> > > Not noise par bleu, far from it!
>
> Well, noise was about how the title of the mail was written. There's no
> need to activate the GPS to get it (at least not the latter times).
>
> > The license is presented to the user when they first enable
> > positioning and afterwards from the pulley menu. It is not strictly
> > required to use GPS, but as there is currently only one positioning
> > switch for both GPS and wifi/cell positioning it must be accepted.
>
> I have another question here:
> I put no SIM card in the phone and disable the wifi network (simulation
> of being abroad or deep in the country side ;) ). Then, I start my GPS
> app. The GPS icon of the lock screen (the one beside the battery
> status) start blinking waiting for a GPS fix. Then after a while it
> disappear without notice and I never get any fix. I was outside for the
> test. On my old N900, I can use the GPS without any network (waiting
> sometimes 5 or 10 minutes to get a fix, but it doesn't matter). It's
> very convenient when being abroad or without any 3G around.

GPS works without network coverage, though the acquisition time is much longer
than with mobile data available.

> I did the same test with the Jolla map app and get the same result : no
> GPS fix.

How long did you wait? Were you outside or inside? Without assisted GPS I've
seen the device take between one and tens of minutes to get a position fix.
When in my office it is unlikely to get a fix if assisted GPS is disabled.

> Is it a bug ? May the GPS give up after a while which is too soon when
> not having any network around ?

Neither the GPS stack or Qt Positioning will give up. This is completely
controlled by the application.

> > There is a separate agreement that you must accept to use Maps. This
> > is presented when you first start the Maps application.
>
> I may contradict here but I may be wrong. It seems to me that I did the
> following (from a brand new phone setup):
> - go to setting app, agree for the GPS license there ;
> - start my GPS app, get nothing (no blinking icon or anything) ;

Was the Jolla Map application installed at this point? Perhaps some needed
components were not installed which could explain what you were seeing.

> - start Jolla map app, accept the license there, stop it ;
> - start my GPS app again, and got a GPS fix after a while.
> So it seems to me that the *two* licences must be accepted for the GPS
> to be working.

If what you say above is correct then I'm not quite sure what is going on
here. Only the positioning enabled and flight mode settings are checked by the
GPS position provider.

> Thanks anyway guys at Jolla, I love the phone (even with a lot of soft
> missing from my N900 point of view, but it will come).

Cheers,

--
Aaron McCarthy