Hi,

I've been trying to experiment with creating more advanced keyboard layouts
than ones who simply map one key to one character---more along the lines of
the Chinese pinyin layout. To that end, I've been investigating the relevant
QML files located in /usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/, and I think that
I've got a decent idea of how they work. In essence, I need to create a custom
input handler that, instead of querying the Xt9 library for potential
candidates, implements its own logic.

However, here I've hit a bit of a snag. Whenever the keyboard is started it
seems to default to the standard InputHandler input handler, but almost
immediately after starting, as well as (as far as I can tell) every time
canvas.layoutRow.switchLayout is called, something somewhere changes the input
handler to the Xt9InputHandler. If the layout is changed to the Chinese pinyin
layout, though, the Xt9CpInputHandler is used instead, thanks to the magic
value "china_pinyin" specified in the type attribute of the Chinese keyboard
layout (zh_cn_pinyin.qml). However, from what I can see there's no
straightforward way for a layout to specify a custom input handler---the
Chinese input handler being hard coded.

Am I overlooking something? Is it in fact possible to tell the keyboard to
switch to a specified input handler upon loading a layout? If not, is it
possible to tell the keyboard *not* to switch to the Xt9InputHandler? If I for
instance try to set keyboard.inputHandler to an InputHandler in the
Component.onCompleted attribute in en.qml, I can see how the input handler is
changed for a fraction of a second before being changed again to the
Xt9InputHandler. And I'm not sure if there's any non-ugly way to make sure
that my code changing the input handler to my custom handler is instead run
immediately after the code that switches the handler to the Xt9InputHandler
has finished running.

As an aside, would it be possible for a custom layout to register itself
without having to edit layout.conf? That would make it much easier to provide
the layout in the form of a simple RPM package.

Regards,
Arvid