Hey Stefan,

the ts file without language code extension is like a template file for
further languages. That is the reason why it is not compiled into a qm file.
It would only contain strings that already exist in your source code. So if
you use qsTr with English as source language there is no need to translate
this into english again.

English translations are needed if you want to have plural forms displayed
correctly, but then there only the plurals have to be translated.

It would be different if you use qsTrId, because then there is no real source
string inside the code. So in that case you would also need english
translation files. But ts files without lang code would still be templates.

lupdate is, as you aspected, used for extracting translatable strings form the
source code.

lrelease compiles ts text files into binary qm files that are used by
QTranslator. [0]

If you want to have your app translated you need to install a translator as
described in [0].

Best greetings
Buschmann

[0] http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtranslator.html

--
Das Gesetz hat zum Schneckengang verdorben, was Adlerflug geworden wäre.
(Friedrich Schiller - Die Räuber)

Und der Buschfunk spielt gerade "Generation Nokia" von "Pascow".

www.buschmann23.de
GPG-Key: 0x614C3258
GPG Fingerprint: B770 E0D0 69CF BFC1 5FE1 D78E 3A70 A936 614C 3258