It's funny you should ask - we're actually hacking around there right now while getting aarch64 building. The choice is a tricky one though - the more you upgrade something like gcc, the more potential problems can be caused in every single package containing C or C++ source.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll have a play with newer versions during this process to see the impact.

Cheers,

Andrew