This is juuust a bit embarrassing. I'm trying to import a plugin, just
as I did years ago in my tiny app Kitchen Timer[1]. On the other hand, I
couldn't even explain how I did it 4 years ago[2] :P
With the best of my weary eyes, I can't see what I'm missing, but I have
changed the build setup more logically sane, thanks to advice from
Martin Kampas :)

The main project file[3] links to two other: app.pro[4] and a QML plugin
(skeleton)[5].

# harbour-currencyconverter.pro:
TEMPLATE = subdirs
SUBDIRS += app \
    lib/fileproxy

# app.pro:
TARGET = harbour-currencyconverter
TEMPLATE = app
CONFIG += sailfishapp
CONFIG += sailfishapp_i18n
QT += dbus quick
# And some other stuff

# lib/fileproxy/fileproxy.pro:
TEMPLATE = lib
PROJECT = currencyconverter
TARGET = fileproxy
QT += quick
QT -= gui
CONFIG += qt plugin
TARGET = $$qtLibraryTarget($$TARGET)
target.path = /usr/share/harbour-$$PROJECT/lib/harbour/$$PROJECT/$$TARGET

uri = harbour.$$PROJECT.TARGET

# SOURCES and HEADERS

OTHER_FILES = qmldir
qmldir.files += $$_PRO_FILE_PWD_/qmldir
qmldir.path += $$target.path
INSTALLS += target qmldir

Everything builds and installs fine:

$ ls
/usr/share/harbour-currencyconverter/lib/harbour/currencyconverter/fileproxy/
libfileproxy.so  qmldir

$ ls /usr/share/harbour-currencyconverter/

flags  lib  qml  translations

$ ls /usr/bin/harbour-currencyconverter
/usr/bin/harbour-currencyconverter

Exactly the same way as [1].

So, everything is fine until the import of the module[6], which off
course exits with "module "harbour.currencyconverter.fileproxy" is not
installed" :/

I am as good as certain, that I'm just missing some copy/paste error,
but I have been thru the code a gazillion times now, and I just can't
find it.

Sorry for the broken lines. How do you disable line-breaks in Thunderbird?

[1] https://github.com/tanghus/kitchen-timer-qml/
[2] https://lists.sailfishos.org/pipermail/devel/2015-September/006533.html
[3]
https://github.com/tanghus/currency-converter-qml/blob/master/harbour-currencyconverter.pro