Hi again,

> On the content adaptation, for images we first tried with netpbm, but
> it doesn't support that many graphics formats, so we dropped it. I
> think that whatever you do, the content adaptation part is going to
> require a lot of extra machinery. You have to deal with images of all
> kinds (png, gif, jpeg), audio of all kinds and (eventually) video of
> all kinds.  One could write code into mbuni to deal with the different
> formats, but this would be crazy.

Thats absolutely true, but again, looking from future perspectives, we
may need to obtain before runtime (at compile time, ./configure?) what
formats we will support since ImageMagick can be configured with and
without certain formats and options. So it could like:

#ifdef IMAGICK_WITH_GIF
{"image/gif", 0, "giftopnm", "pnmquant 256 | ppmtogif", "gif", 1, TIMAGE}
#endif

But that's just an option.

> On the Nokia 6230 TCP/IP stack issue, I think we need to look at some
> options and see which one works best. I notice that such phones still
> seem to require a 'gateway', which is used as an HTTP proxy. One idea
> would be to make the proxy insert the MSISDN header...

That's correct, proxy solution is the most popular one. Another
problem about MSISDNs is related with number portability issues, hence
prefix based routing won't work anymore. As stated in "Report on MMS"
(http://www.ero.dk/documentation/docs/doc98/official/Word/ECCREP062.DOC)
the are two ways to identify if number is local:

a. Operator-ENUM as defined in TS 123.140 appendix G [2]: requires
ENUM-database in the originating network. [...] As long as
ENUM-databases are operator-internal (or national) databases,
ENUM-solutions fail on international ported numbers. Therefore this
option is not preferred.
b. IMSI-query as defined in TS 123.140 appendix H [2]: requires
IMSI-information (using Send_IMSI or optionally SRI_for_SM) available
in the originating network. For this solution an additional database
mapping MCC and MNC to MMSC-domain names is required.

But again, that's operator and even country specific too. Sorry for a
DUMB question, but what's the MAIN reason for interconnection (using
MM4) in MMS architecture? I'm here about to always keep the original
MM in the home MMSC, hence the user of the foreign operator in the MMS
WAP Push notification would see the sender operator's MMSC URL. Ok,
there might be firewall and billing issues but IMHO it's this can
still be solved. Sorry again for a flame :)

Btw, are there any time estimates putting the code in the CVS repository?

--
Dziugas