On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 10:24:15PM +0300, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 07:11:28PM +0300, Vladimir Davydov wrote:
> >
> > Hmm, checkpatch still has max_line_length set to 80. Could you please
> > share a link to this agreement?
> >
> > > fine. Wonder, do you really still sit on 80 chars terminal?
> >
> > I use a 12" laptop. With the window vertically split into two panes, I
> > have only ~80 characters per each pane.
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/2/3/101
>
> One of the several conversations.

Fortunately, 80 column limit is still there.

I've just checked that on my external 20" display, with the font size my
eyes are used to, I can keep two panes of 104 columns max. So if they
decided to switch to 100 column standard, even a huge 15" laptop
wouldn't save me :-/

> nb: you know, moving patches from mainline (slave lock) seems
> to be not that simple, they introduced own new lock class for that.
> at moment i think how to modify our vtty code without mangling
> general tty code.

I'd still suggest moving EXTRA_REF logic to tty_io.c. Yes, it's going to
hurt a little during rebases, but if we try to keep it in pty.c we will
implicitly rely on tty_io.c internal logic (locking or ref counting
rules), which will probably result in failures at runtime, which is much
worse than failures at build time.