On 05/27/2014 02:25 PM, Vojtech Szocs wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Antoni Segura Puimedon" <asegu...@redhat.com>
To: "Michal Skrivanek" <michal.skriva...@redhat.com>
Cc: "Vojtech Szocs" <vsz...@redhat.com>, "Amador Pahim" <ama...@pahim.org>,
devel@ovirt.org
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 1:16:17 PM
Subject: Re: [ovirt-devel] Python-GTK User Portal

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michal Skrivanek" <michal.skriva...@redhat.com>
To: "Vojtech Szocs" <vsz...@redhat.com>, "Amador Pahim" <ama...@pahim.org>
Cc: devel@ovirt.org
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:54:16 PM

On May 27, 2014, at 12:48 , Vojtech Szocs <vsz...@redhat.com> wrote:

Hi, this project looks nice!

Indeed, UserPortal can be sluggish on devices with limited performance.
Going for custom, light-weight UserPortal sounds like a natural choice,
"samples-portals" repo sounds like a natural place :)

Note that (very) soon I'm going to present a prototype of oVirt.js,
SDK for working with oVirt within JavaScript environment. In future,
we could implement light-weight UserPortal as web application, or we
could use Node.js to host the client application code.

It's awesomely simple. Even as a non-web application I think it's worth
it:)
It can be a great way how to find out what are we missing in SDK, what is
not
effective enough for big scale usage, debugging, etc..

I wouldn't hesitate much to throw the current user portal away and replace
it
with this. One small bug in current portal takes longer to fix than this
whole thing…

I admit that current development workflow is quite complex for a rather simple
application that UserPortal should be. Also consider that UserPortal contains
two things, "Basic" + "Extended" section, so it's more complex by design :)

Anyway, JavaScript SDK should bring more possibilities.

I would not necessarily throw it away, but I'm completely for moving such a
project to the oVirt umbrella. We could even have an image for thin clients
that boots into this sort of application.

Yes, thin clients for specific devices (like ones with limited performance)
are clients too, so I agree with above.

we could do a 'lighter' version of it (well, we could do a 'basic html' version if we really want it light...)

Thanks,
michal

Regards,
Vojtech