On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 9:24 AM Germano Veit Michel <germ...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working an a tool (vdsm-tool update-volume) to make modifying SD metadata
> easier and more importantly, safer. This is very useful to recover from
> failed LSMs or snapshot issues.
>
> The plan is to use the VDSM API (modified by some of these patches) and add a
> tool (vdsm-tool) that talks to the API and modifies the volumes metadata as
> required by the user. Currently this is done manually, i.e.: looking at
> MD_XXX tags, doing dd, sed and then dd back to the storage. Any wrong
> argument (like a skip in place of a seek) can ruin the entire metadata, so
> this tool can be quite handy.
>
> The code is not necessarily 100% finished yet, but I've been testing this for
> some time and it seems ok from a functional point of view. I'm just not sure
> everything I did (especially inside VDSM, example 94366) is correct. Your
> comments on what can/should be improved are very welcome at this point.
> Please see this series and help reviewing it.
>
> https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/q/topic:update-volume+(status:open+OR+status:merged)
> https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/93258/

I am not a maintainer of vdsm.storage, but I can say that I'm missing
a high-level description of the change that you are suggesting, and
its motivation. When do you see a need to manually change the metadata
of volumes? Shouldn't we fix the bug that causes this need?
I personally have a deep resentment to a "force" flags - not just
here, but everywhere. It is never clear what is being forced. Some
things cannot or should not be forced.

One last note: a CI+1 gives a positive psychological vibe to your reviewer.