On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 1:07 PM Marcin Sobczyk <msobc...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On yesterday's vdsm weekly call, we were discussing the need of making
> Python 3 vdsm RPM packages.
>
> Some facts:
>
> - it doesn't make a lot sense to spend much time on trying to package
> everything - it's completely impossible i.e. to run vdsm without having
> 'sanlock' module
> - our current vdsm.spec file is crap
>
> Two non-exclusive propositions were raised:
>
> - let's try to make a quick-and-dirty patch, that will completely
> overwrite the existing 'vdsm.spec' (effectively making it Python 3-only)
> for testing purposes, and maintain it for a while
> - in the meantime, let's write a completely new, clean and beautiful
> spec file in an package-by-package, incremental manner, (also Python
> 3-only) that would eventually substitute the original one

I'm not sure I understand that second option.
I am afraid of fresh starts; I'd very much prefer to start from the
sh*tty thing we have, and evolve it. A lot of time, re-writing a piece
of software is tempting, but existing code is imbued with knowledge of
past problems, which is often forgotten when you do a hard cut.

Cleaning %files should be an easy first step; I think that Gal's
jinja-based generation of py2/py3 packages is sane.
Can you explain why not just to carry these patches over?