On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 5:55 PM Dominik Holler <dhol...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> would you help me to understand if the dhcp client in an oVirt guest
> should refresh his dhcp configuration after the guest is resumed?
> If this is the case, how this should be triggered?
>
> The reason why I ask is, that if a VM suspends on a first host, and
> resumes on a second one, libvirt's nwfilter losses the IP address of
> the guest, which means that the guest is not reachable until he
> refreshes dhcp config, if the clean-traffic filter with
> CTRL_IP_LEARNING=dhcp is used.

Do you know if libvirt's nwfilter transfers the IP address during live
migration? I'd suspect that you'd have the same problem there.
I believe that libvirt should handle this in BOTH cases (live
migration and suspend/resume). It should store the learned IP in the
suspended data and revive it on the target host.
Calling in +Laine Stump  for his opinion.

Regardless of this, I think that a guest should request a dhcp renewal
upon resume. After all, it may have been suspended for few years.
This can be done if we add a "resumed" notification to the guest
agent, and have libvvirt/Vdsm trigger after resume.

> This scenario might happen in OST basic-suite-master and
> basic-suite-4.3 in verify_suspend_resume_vm0.

I suspect that we can work around this bug in OST by requesting Engine
to resume vm0 on the same host it was suspended from