On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 1:20 PM Amit Bawer <aba...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 12:40 PM Yedidyah Bar David <d...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 12:11 PM Amit Bawer <aba...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> From my limited experience, the usual flow for most users is
>>> deploying/upgrading a host and installing vdsm from the engine UI on the
>>> hypervisor machine.
>>>

>> You are right, for non-hosted-engine hosts. For hosted-engine, at least
>> the first host, you first install stuff on it (including vdsm), then
>> deploy, and only then have an engine. If for any reason you reboot in the
>> middle, you might run into unneeded problems, due to vdsm starting at boot.
>>

>>> In case of manual installations by non-users, it is accustomed to run
>>> "vdsm-tool configure --force" after step 3 and then reboot.
>>>

>> I didn't know that, sorry, but would not want to do that either, for
>> hosted-engine. I'd rather hosted-engine deploy to do that, at the right
>> point. Which it does :-)
>>

>>> Having a host on which vdsm is not running by default renders it useless
>>> for ovirt, unless it is explicitly set to be down from UI under particular
>>> circumstances.
>>>

>> Obviously, for an active host. If it's not active, and is rebooted, not
>> sure we need vdsm to start - even if it's already added/configured/etc (but
>> e.g. put in maintenance). But that's not my question - I don't mind
>> enabling vdsmd as part of host-deploy, so that vdsm would start if a host
>> in maintenance is rebooted. I only ask why it should be enabled by the rpm
>> installation.
>>

> Hard to tell, this dates back to commit
> d45e6827f38d36730ec468d31d905f21878c7250 and commit
> c01a733ce81edc2c51ed3426f1424c93917bb106 before that, in which both did not
> specify a reason.

Adding Dan. Dan - was it enabled by default in sysv? I think not. Was there
an explicit requirement/decision to enable it on the move to systemd? If
not, is it ok to keep it disabled by default and enable when needed
(host-deploy)?

> But the rpm post installation should also configure vdsm, at least on a
> fresh install [1], so it makes sense (at least to me) that it is okay to
> enable it by default since you have all setup for a regular usage.
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/oVirt/vdsm/blob/b0c338b717ff300575c1ff690d9efa256fcd2164/vdsm.spec.in#L955

I do not agree.

I think most sensible sysadmin would expect a 'yum install package; yum
remove package' to leave their system mostly unchanged. Also, 'yum install
package; reboot; yum remove package'. I guess most sysadmins know that
there are %pre* and %post* and that package maintainers do all kinds of
stuff there, but do not expect, IMHO, the amount of changes that we do in
vdsm-tool.

--
Didi