On 11/5/20 2:03 PM, Yedidyah Bar David wrote:
On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 2:40 PM Marcin Sobczyk <msobc...@redhat.com> wrote:

On 11/5/20 1:22 PM, Vojtech Juranek wrote:
IMO OST should be made easy to interact with from your main development
machine.
TBH I didn't see much interest in running OST on developers' machines.
as it's little bit complex to setup?
Definitely, that's why the playbook and 'setup_for_ost.sh' was created.
I hope it will be the long term solution for this problem.

Making it more easy maybe would increase
number of people contributing to OST ...
But that's a chicken and egg problem - who else is going to contribute
to OST if not us?
If we want the setup to be easier, then let's work on it.
I agree, but this requires time.

Most of the work done on OST so far was for CI. Using it by developers
was a side-interest.

People are mostly using manual OST runs to verify things and that is what
most of the efforts focus on. It's not that I wouldn't like OST to be more
developer-friendly, I definitely would, but we need more manpower
and interest for that to happen.

I noticed that many of you run OST in a VM ending up with three layers
of VMs.
I know it works, but I got multiple reports of assertions' timeouts and
TBH I just don't
see this as a viable solution to work with OST - you need a bare metal
for that.
Why?

After all, we also work on a virtualization product/project. If it's
not good enough for ourselves, how do we expect others to use it? :-)
I'm really cool with the engine and the hosts being VMs, but deploying
engine and the hosts as VMs nested in other VM is what I think is
unreasonable.
I tried this approach in past two days and works fine for me (except the fast
it's slow)
(One of the best freudian slips I noticed recently)

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't think our customers run whole oVirt
clusters
inside VMs. There's just too much overhead with all that layers of nesting
and the performance sucks.

Also, using bare-metal isn't always that easy/comfortable either, even
if you have the hardware.
I'm very happy with my servers. What makes working with bm
hard/uncomfortable?
IMHO main issue is lack of HW. I really don't want to run it directly on my
dev laptop (without running it inside VM). If I ssh/mount FS/tunnel ports to/
from VM or some bare metal server really doesn't matter (assuming reasonable
Lack of HW is definitely an issue, but not the only one.

When I did use BM for OST at home, my setup was something like this:

(home router) <-wifi or cable-> (laptop) <-cable-> (switch) <-cable-> BM

I configured on my laptop PXE for reinstallations. Worked quite well even
if not perfect.

I worked quite hard on _not_ using my laptop as a router. I ran on it
squid + squid-rpm-cache, and I think I never managed to make OST work
(through a proxy). Eventually I gave up and configured the laptop as a
router, and this worked.

Before that, I also tried disabling dhcp on the router and running dhcp+dns
PXE on a raspberry pi on the home network, but this was problematic in
other ways (I think the rpi was simply not very stable - had to power-
cycle it every few months).

I can't use the router as PXE.
Hmmm maybe we have a different understanding on "bare metal usage for OST".
What I meant is you should use a physical server, install lago et al on it and use it to run OST as usual. I didn't mean using a separate bare metal for each of the engine and the hosts.
That way you don't need to have your own PXE and router - it's taken care
of by lago and prebuilt images of VMs.

I agree. I have the privilege of having separate servers to run OST.
Even though that would work, I can't imagine working with OST
on a daily basis on my laptop.
I wonder why. Not saying I disagree.
OST eats a lot of resources and makes your machine less responsive.
Given that, and the lengthy debugging cycles, with a separate server
I'm able to work on 2-3 things simultaneously.

I find the biggest load on my laptop to be from browsers running
web applications. I think this was ok also with my previous laptop,
so assume I can restrict the browsers (with cgroups or whatever) to
only use a slice (and I usually do not really care about their
performance). Just didn't spend the time on trying this yet.

(Previous laptop was from 2016, 16GB RAM. Current from 2019, 32GB).

That also kinda proves my point that people are not being interested
in running OST on their machines - they don't have machines they could use.
I see three solutions to this:
- people start pushing managers to have their own servers
Not very likely. We are supposed to use VMs for that.

- we will have a machine-renting solution based on beaker
   (with nice, automatic provisioning for OST etc.), so we can
   work on bare metals
+1 from me.

- we focus on the CI and live with the "launch and prey" philosophy :)
If it's fast enough and fully automatic (e.g. using something like Nir's
script, but perhaps with some more features), also ok for me.

Right now, this is what I use mostly. For things that are much faster
to verify manually, I use manual (non-OST) setup on VMs.

connection speed to bare metal server)

I can think of reprovisioning, but that is not needed for OST usage.

CI also uses VMs for this, IIUC. Or did we move there to containers?
Perhaps we should invest in making this work well inside a container.
CI doesn't use VMs - it uses a mix of containers and bare metals.
The solution for containers can't handle el8 and that's why we're
stuck with running OST on el7 mostly (apart from the aforementioned
bare metals, which use el8).

There is a 'run-ost-container.sh' script in the project. I think some people
had luck using it, but I never even tried. Again, my personal opinion, as
much as I find containers useful and convenient in different situations,
this is not one of them - you should be using bare metal.

The "backend for OST" is a subject for a whole, new discussion.
My opinion here is that we should be using oVirt as backend for OST
(as in running oVirt cluster as VMs in oVirt). I'm a big fan of the
dogfooding
concept.
I fully agree. Already talked about this with Sandro some years ago, never
did anything...

This of course creates a set of new problems like "how can
developers
work with this", "where do we get the hosting oVirt cluster from" etc.
Whooole, new discussion :)
I don't think this is related to whether you use oVirt, or lago/vagrant.

If every developer has to run an oVirt engine just for running OST inside
it, this indeed has some extra overhead, but if it was the only problem
we'll probably still prefer it compared to re-implementing parts of it
in lago.

For CI, that's a non-issue, IMO.
I'd rather meant having a fixed oVirt installation that's shared by everyone.
In this scenario people would create the OST VMs on that oVirt instance
instead of running them locally with lago.

Best regards,

Regards, Marcin

On my bare metal server OST basic run takes 30 mins to complete. This is
something one
can work with, but we can do even better.

Thank you for your input and I hope that we can have more people
involved in OST
on a regular basis and not once-per-year hackathons. This is a complex
project, but it's
really useful.
+1!

Thanks and best regards,

Nice.

Thanks and best regards,
[1]
https://github.com/lago-project/lago/blob/7bf288ad53da3f1b86c08b3283ee9c5
118e7605e/lago/providers/libvirt/network.py#L162 [2]
https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-system-tests/blob/6d5c2a0f9fb3c05afc854712
60065786b5fdc729/ost_utils/ost_utils/pytest/fixtures/engine.py#L105