Here are the steps to get started

1. Set up the development environment using the steps given on
https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/developer_manual/general/devenv.html
2. Now create a new app using the steps given in
https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/developer_manual/app/startapp.html
3. Now customize the app and add your own features.

Here is the one sample application that I have made for GSoC 2016
https://github.com/manishbisht/imageviewer Hope it helps you :)

If you get any problem feel free to ask here or on the IRC.

Cheers,

Manish Bisht
Email : h...@manishbisht.me
Website : https://manishbisht.me/