There are a few papers out there that provide a decent 10,000 foot view (or
3,048 meters, if you prefer).

   - RIOT OS: Towards an OS for the Internet of Things
   <http://www.riot-os.org/docs/riot-infocom2013-abstract.pdf>
   - RIOT: One OS to Rule Them All in the IoT
   <https://hal.inria.fr/file/index/docid/776920/filename/RR-8176.pdf>
   - A real-time kernel for wireless sensor networks employed in rescue
   scenarios
   <http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=5355049>
(paywalled
   unfortunately)
   - Simply RIOT: Teaching and Experimental Research in the Internet of
   Things <https://hal.inria.fr/hal-01058634/document>

Aside from those you should take a look at the Porting Guide
<https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/wiki/Porting-Guide> on the wiki if you
haven't already. You might also find the API documentation
<http://riot-os.org/api/> useful. Beyond that, someone correct me if I'm
wrong, the canonical documentation can be found in the code itself
<https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT>.

--adam