Has anyone taken a look at TI's CC2560 or  C1310 processors? They're both
based on an a Cortex-M3 processor clocked up to 48 MHz and work in the 2.4
GHz and sub-1 GHz bands respectively. I haven't had a chance to read all
the documentation yet but they appear similar to the CC2538, aside from one
part, they both have a Cortex-M0 based "RF Core" softMAC supporting
802.15.4, 6lowpan, BLE, and ZigBee stacks..

Unfortunately, the datasheets state "The ARM Cortex-M0 processor is not
programmable by customers." While this may mean that it's not possible to
write a custom MAC or port RIOT's to the M0 these could still prove to be
useful chips. The documentation states that an image for the softMAC is
stored in an chip ROM but it does seem to be field upgradeable but I'm not
clear if this is only possible by patching the image stored in ROM each
boot or if the patch is permanent opening a potential avenue for custom M0
firmware. The documentation doesn't include complete register documentation
for the M0 but it at least includes the names of the registers. I'm not
sure if debug access is enabled on the M0 but I would be fairly surprised
if it were.

Both chips also contain a "sensor controller" CPU that can be configured to
monitor various peripherals even while the main processor is in standby
mode which sounds like a nice way to further reduce power consumption. I
haven't had time to investigate how this processor is configured and
programmed.

Anyways, even if the embedded softMAC isn't user programmable these look
like interesting chips. Seeing as they only cost US$29 I'll probably buy
TI's CC2650 based "SensorTag"[1] dev platform and if I'm feeling especially
adventurous give porting RIOT to it a try.

--adam

[1]  www.ti.com/sensortag