Hi,

with https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/9530 being merged the API of
xtimer changed a bit. Before, one could check if an xtimer is set by
deactivating the IRQ, checking if its members `target` and `long_target`
were 0 and reactivating the IRQ (as was done in the xtimer-internal
function `_is_set()` basically did as well).

Given that with the changes #9530 neither the members `target` and
`long_target` nor the internal function `_is_set()` exist now, how does
one check outside of the xtimer module, given an `xtimer_t` `a` that `a`
is armed?

I used the previous method in https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/12648
to check if the inter-frame timer was set and only set it if that was
not the case (otherwise my schedule gets messed up). As a workaround I
use an external global boolean for now that is set whenever the timer is
set and unset whenever the timer event is handled. I fear however, that
this could lead to a race condition, so an intrinsic method to xtimer to
determine if it is set would be preferred.

Best regards,
Martine