On 23/03/18 12:47, Amaan Cheval wrote:
The BSP porting guide[1] includes this warning when talking about the
benchmark timer driver:

The Timer Driver is superfluous and should be replaced by the RTEMS
counter support. Ask on the mailing list if you plan to write a Timer
Driver.

We also have this[2] open ticket about the same issue. It seems like this
might be a part of the BSP's clock driver, exposed through the
"_CPU_Counter_read" function. Is that right?

The tests in ./testsuites/tmtests/ do call several benchmark_timer_*
functions, so I imagine the warning means that we can implement these
functions using the counter instead of reading the hardware timer by itself
as the guide shows?

For new BSPs, please implement the CPU counter and use

c/src/lib/libbsp/shared/timercpucounter.c

for the timer driver.

(For context: this is relevant to my GSoC plan for the x86_64 port and BSP;
I'd like to architect it to be of a style which the RTEMS community deems
ideal, despite other BSPs not quite being there yet, understandably.)

[1] https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/bsp-howto/timer.html
[2] https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2847

Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16