On 2/9/21 5:18 pm, Christian MAUDERER wrote:
> And already a question regarding the new branch: You cleaned up the
> rtems-bsd-kernel-namespace.h (which is great).

Thanks. It came as a surprise the script broke on FreeBSD.

> My patch removes some duplicated functions that are in RTEMS and in libbsd.
> The
> ones in RTEMS are definitively the correct ones and the ones in libbsd return
> wrong values sometimes. With your patch, the functions are now in the
> namespace
> header (which is OK).

OK

> I tried to regenerate the header using the rtems-kern-symbols. But even with
> the
> --regenerate option like described in the CONTRIBUTING.md, the symbols are not
> removed. I can remove them manually and the rtems-kern-symbols script doesn't
> change the header if I re-run it. So I'm quite sure that this is an OK
> solution.
> But it somehow feels wrong to manually change a generated header. Is there
> something I used wrong?

No nothing at all.

> What I did:
>
> - Re-build libbsd and note that the tests don't link any more.
>
> - run `./rtems-kern-symbols --regenerate --rtems-tools=<path_to_tools>`
>   Nothing has been changed.
>
> - manually remove the symbols
>
> - re-build (now successfully)
>
> - run `./rtems-kern-symbols --regenerate --rtems-tools=<path_to_tools>`
>   Nothing has been changed. Symbols are still removed.
>
> - add symbols manually again
>
> - run `./rtems-kern-symbols --regenerate --rtems-tools=<path_to_tools>`
>   Nothing has been changed. Symbols are still there.
>
> So I think my core question is: Does the tool clean up old symbols or do I
> have
> to do that manually?

You need to remove the lines manually. I could not find a suitable solution that
worked effective and efficiently.

I spent sometime on this and considered a number of options for a while and came
to no workable solution to handle it automatically. An automatic tool that can
remove calls needs to build all combinations of arch/bsps multiplied by all the
possible options for RTEMS and the BSPs multiplied by all libbsd options to know
a symbol is not needed. That was all way too hard.

My compromise solution was adding a report option to help you see what is
happening with the symbols. The intention is to aid managing those symbols you
are interested in.

Chris