On 01/10/2021 16:27, Joel Sherrill wrote:

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021, 8:42 AM Sebastian Huber <sebastian.hu...@embedded-brains.de <mailto:sebastian.hu...@embedded-brains.de>> wrote:

    On 01/10/2021 00:38, Joel Sherrill wrote:
     > I think in this configuration, the workspace is essentially unneeded
     > but has to be able to be initialized. It shows that the static
     > allocation work has succeeded in trimming the workspace at least. But
     > now we have to account for an empty one. :)

    Did you get this error with an unmodified master branch?

Not yet. I am updating to 5 first since the last released version was from a
pre-branching spot and the decision was made to move to the release
branch.

I am hoping to get it updated to where we can more easily track the
master but there are a few things ahead of that.

I would update to the master. We should be close to an RTEMS 6 release. Our pre-qualification activity is nearly done.

    Why is the workspace initialized? I tried to arrange everything so that
    the workspace doesn't get initialized if it is not needed. What pulled
    in the workspace initialization?

Looking at the map from ticker, it looks like it comes from malloc_initialize.c

./../../cpukit/librtemscpu.a(wkspace.o)
./../../cpukit/librtemscpu.a(malloc_initialize.o) (_Workspace_Area)
./../../cpukit/librtemscpu.a(wkspaceisunifieddefault.o)
./../../cpukit/librtemscpu.a(malloc_initialize.o) (_Workspace_Is_unified)

And malloc_initialize.c looks different in 5 versus master.

I don't want to get into pulling back a LOT of code. If there is a small patch set that can be backported, I'm ok with that. But a simple fix to let it have a
minimum workspace is safe and simple on 5.

But this can really occur on 5 so we need at least a fix there.

Back porting things in the workspace and confdefs.h area will be difficult.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER

Registergericht: Amtsgericht München