On 16.03.23 23:07, Chris Johns wrote:
On 16/3/2023 6:13 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
Hello Aaron,

this API seems to be RTEMS-specific. Maybe we should simply pick up an existing
solution which is in more wide spread use, for example:

https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/hardware/peripherals/flash.html

That interface seems Zepher specific and looks to me like a series of calls that
appear reasonable as a list to cover.

The Zephyr API has drivers for a couple of chips:

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/tree/main/drivers/flash

The patch Aaron has posted is a driver. I
prefer a driver like we have for I2C, SPI etc because the of support it brings.

The I2C and SPI APIs are ported from Linux, so not RTEMS-specific.

The initial set of ioctl commands is small to start with. If you feel we should
offer more I suggest they get added once this is merged.

Is the change OK?

I am not opposed to commit this API, however, I don't think it is a step forward. It is yet another RTEMS-specific API. It has no related documentation patches. The API has no high level user (for example JAFFS2). The API has no implementation. It has no tests. It has no driver framework (ONFI, JEDEC). It has no example driver. It has no Doxygen documentation. The coding style of the new file has nothing to do with the RTEMS coding style.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER

Registergericht: Amtsgericht München