On 7/15/23 16:00, o...@c-mauderer.de wrote:
We should avoid rebasing and overwriting the old branch because we have to preserve a version that can be used with older RTEMS versions. So for rebasing, we would have to use multiple branches. Instead of rtems-6-branch, it could be a rtems-<date-of-base-revision> or something similar.

Thanks for confirmation. Have the same feeling about it.

I think that depends heavily on how the upstream project works. If the upstream project uses a typical git workflow and is quite active, merging is most likely the better solution because we don't get big amounts of branches with that.

But this means we still merge to some rtems specific branch since master is used to sync with upstream, right?

On the other hand I know that some semiconductor manufacturers tend to just dump code into a repo and they don't care whether files move around or change heavily. They happily mix changes with reformatting the complete code. In that case you have no chance of a useful merge-commit. I think in these cases it's most likely better to create a new branch on every update and rebase the patches.

Anyway, still this is a branch based workflow. How would you do that workflow with just fixed commit IDs?

I'm asking since so far commit IDs on submodules were always obtain from master branch which is what we basically fork and does not give us ability to patch with RTEMS changes...

So I'm curious how would you do that?

I think I have put that in the wrong words. I assumed you mean that you want to use some feature that always uses the latest commit of a branch (also I don't know whether git even has that feature).

What I wanted to say is that if I check out a RTEMS version from two months back, it should check out the revisions of the submodules that have been used in RTEMS two months back too. It must not use the latest HEAD of the branch from today. It's just part of having a version of the code that can be reproduced later.

Right! Now crucial question: is that even supported in git? I'm asking since so far I've seen only:

- use fixed commit ids, but those are obtained only from master branch
or
- use branch and then this is always branch HEAD

I've not seen anything like "use fixed commit ID from branch XXX". So question for you as an git expert: are you absolutely sure that this workflow is supported by git at all? And by this I mean have you tested that actually? :-)

Of course the revision from two months back has to be available in the repo. It doesn't really matter whether it's on master because the code just worked or whether it's a RTEMS specific branch because adaptions have been necessary.

You "it doesn't really matter" worries me a little bit. I'm not sure this functionality is even supported hence my question above if you have tested it yourself.

Thanks!
Karel