On 29.07.23 08:30, Chris Johns wrote:
I think this is not really related to the new RTEMS_VERSION_VC_KEY/RTEMS_VERSION_CONTROL_KEY option. The purpose of this option is to give users the ability to define their own version control key.

I think we are broadly aligned however there are different labels for some the pieces [1]. I have reviewed the existing code and then this change and it seems the default is an empty string a user can altered via a config.ini file. Is this correct?

In v2 of the patch, the default is "git" indicating that the version control key should be obtained using Git.

Is this per BSP or global?

This is per BSP. All the configuration options are per BSP. In your config.ini you can set options for all BSPs via the [DEFAULT] section.

For me the sources are the controlled item the calls rtems_version() and rtems_version_control_key() should report and not what a user can configure.

We don't control the version control system of the user, so it should be user configurable.

Why not just look for a file called VERSION and then a key=value pair that is:

RTEMS_VERSION_VC_KEY=foo-bar

Why not just use what is normally used by the build system? Supporting the VERSION file needs extra code for only one purpose.

I think naming this option RTEMS_VERSION_CONTROL_KEY makes more sense, since the corresponding RTEMS API directive is rtems_version_control_key(). Is VC a well known abbreviation?

And document deployment users add this file and then configuration control the released sources and this file?

The config.ini are not included in the sources shipped with RTEMS and they can be version controlled by the user.

[1] Informational only .. https://git.rtems.org/rtems-tools/tree/rtemstoolkit/version.py#n31

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER