On 1/29/24 19:41, jan.som...@dlr.de wrote:
Hi everyone,

As mentioned in the other Rust thread, I am working on an initial Rust port for
RTEMS.
The target platform for testing is the ARM Xilinx Zynq-7000 based BSPs.
Where I am not completely sure, is how to name the new target for Rust (see
here the current list:
https://doc.rust-lang.org/nightly/rustc/platform-support.html#tier-3).
The Rust ARM targets usually have the instruction set version and ABI as part
of the name, e.g. armv7a-none-eabihf.
In RTEMS the arm-rtems6-gcc covers all supported ARM versions and different
ABIs (i.e. hard-float or soft-float) collectively.

So, for the Zynq and similar BSPs this would yield for the Rust target
something like: armv7a-rtems6-eabihf (and possibly armv7a-rtems6-eabi).
Similarly, for other ARM BSPs additional Rust targets would need to be added.
Which might add up to quite a  number of Rust targets over time.
Is this fine or do you see another solution?

As I wrote in reply to Frank. I would go with 'armv7-rtems-eabi/hf' here. I'm not even sure about eabi/hf thing. Do you know about any armv7 target *supported* by RTEMS which does not provide FPU? If not, then waiting/mentally allocating 'eabi' and hurting others with a need to type 'eabihf' for this case does not make sense and I would strip 'eabihf' too...

Thanks,
Karel