On 18/6/2024 12:02 am, Sebastian Huber wrote:

>>> Assuming "this function has no real use case and adding it in the first
>>> place
>>> was a mistake" how about:
>>>
>>> - In the active release continue to disable the data cache but add a warning
>>> attribute 'warning ("Disabling data cache breaks atomic functionality")';
>>> - In the next release change it to an error attribute and change the
>>> function
>>> behavior to do nothing except return RTEMS_UNSATISFIED (in case someone
>>> somehow still calls it), or better change it to call an RTEMS fatal
>>> function.
>>>

>> I am not so sure it can be easily simplified. I know of a Zynq or ZynqMP
>> application in a critical system (bare metal, no OS) with the caches disabled
>> for a specific reason. I cannot go into or remember the specific detail.
>
> Even in such a scenario you would probably not enable the data cache and then
> disable it with a function call? You would simply configure the system to not
> enable the cache at all.

Yes this would be correct, it held off.

>> We cannot silently disable functionality. A call must do what it says or
>> return
>> or raise an error. If disabling the data cache is not implement there should
>> be
>> an error. The error would draw the user to the documentation. It is not yet
>> clear we can disable the code in that function.
>>
>> If our kernel code uses atomics then the data cache cannot be disabled.
>> However
>> we should look into the use of atomics and if it is SMP specific and then
>> handle
>> the specific cases.
>
> The atomic operations are defined by the C/C++ standard. This is not an
> SMP-specific issue. It is also not about the usage of the cache in general. It
> is about the rtems_cache_disable_data() directive.

My comments about not having silent things happens is common to all things we
do. We need an error if what we have is not workable on a platform.

>> A user can use atomics even if the kernel does not but leaving that to the
>> user
>> to figure out and deal is at best unhelpful and as an OS provider we should
>> help
>> users in these complex corner cases. At a minimum our documentation should
>> cover
>> this and we could update rtems-exeinfo to report a potential issue.
>
> Which of the above four options would be your favourite? Would there be
> another
> option to deal with rtems_cache_disable_data()?
>
> Currently, calling this function crashes the system on a Zynq 7000.

The return code but is it realistic to make such a change for such a long
standing interface? I suppose it is then the fatal error. It is a major thing to
do disabling the cache.

Out of interest why do we have the interface? What is the use case?

Chris