Indan,

> I have an Atlassian account, but it seems you can't attach patches there,
> so I'm not sure how else to send this patch, other than creating a Github
> account. What is the preferred way to submit patches as an outsider?

Please see https://docs.sel4.systems/processes/contributing.html for details,
the preferred way is creating a pull request on GitHub, as the platform allows
a public review process then. Furthermore, there is an automatic CI run that
gives immediate feedback if this patch quality is ok.
Note that the actual commits do not have to be linked to you GitHub account,
just the DCO sign-off note must match the commit author. Thus, somebody could
technically pick your commits from another public repo (or even a patch sent
per mail) and create a pull request then. However, besides motivating someone
to do this, it complicates further communication with you as author in case
there are change requests.
GitHub offers a convenient platform here. So I wonder, what is preventing you
from creating an account there and doing pull requests? Such an account is
useful for contributing to many open source projects. Even within seL4, there
is more then just one single repository that might be affected by your changes.

Axel